What is required to file a delayed marriage certificate?

In order to request a delayed report of marriage, you must first file an application requesting the marriage certificate to ensure the record is not on file. If the marriage occurred within the last seven years and documentary proof is available a late marriage can be recorded. If the marriage took place more than seven years ago a delayed report must be filed by providing a copy of the marriage license application and documentary proof the marriage occurred. If the marriage license application is not available, then a court order must be obtained directing the Office of Vital Statistics and Registry to place the marriage on file as a delayed record. Please contact the Record Modification unit at 1-866-649-8726 option 4 for further information.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need an appointment for a marriage application?
2. Domestic Partnership Records I entered into a domestic partnership before New Jersey’s Civil Union Act took effect. Is my domestic partnership still valid if we elect not to enter into a civil union?
3. Is my domestic partner able to assume my last name after we register our partnership?
4. If I am in a domestic partnership and want to enter into a civil union with the same partner, do we need to terminate the domestic partnership before applying for our civil union license?
5. Does my employer have to offer my domestic partner health benefits?
6. If I was married in another state, do I need to enter in a marriage in New Jersey in order to have my marriage recognized in New Jersey?
7. Is my marriage on file in New Jersey if I was married in another state or country?
8. Who can perform marriages in New Jersey?
9. Can Internet ministers perform my marriage ceremony?
10. What is required to file a delayed marriage certificate?
11. How do I order a vital record from a New Jersey local vital records office?
12. What are the fees for local copies?
13. Are local copies of vital records acceptable for all my needs?