How to apply for a Certifed Copy of a Vital Statistic

Certified copies are $10.00 per page

All requests are processed Monday – Friday 8:30am – 3:30pm 

  • Non-Genealogical Records are births occurring within the last 80 years or if the individual is still living, marriages occurring within the last 50 years, deaths occurring within the last 40 years and all civil union and domestic partnership records.  Application for a Non-Genealogical Record
  • Genealogical Records are births occurring more than 80 years ago (unless the individual is still living), marriages occurring more than 50 years ago and deaths occurring more than 40 years ago.  Application for a Genealogical Record
  • Certified Copies have the raised seal of the office issuing the record and are always issued on State of New Jersey safety paper. Certified copies may be used to establish identity and are legal documents.
  • Certifications are issued on plain paper with no seal and clearly indicate they are not valid for establishing identity or for legal purposes. Certifications are generally useful for genealogy. Certifications of death records do not contain the Social Security Number or the Cause of Death medical terminology.

Applications for a certified copy or certification of vital record requires the applicant to provide a completed application, valid proof of identity**, payment of the fee (if requesting a certified copy) and proof that establishes you are:

  • the subject of the record;
  • the subject's parent, legal guardian or legal representative;
  • the subject's spouse/civil union partner, domestic partner, child, grandchild or sibling, if of legal age;
  • a state or federal agency for official purposes; or
  • requesting pursuant to a court order.

**Acceptable proofs of identity are: Valid photo driver's license or photo non-driver's license with current address OR valid driver's license without photo and an alternative form of ID with current address OR two (2) alternate forms of ID, one of which must show the current address. Alternate forms of ID are:

  • Vehicle Registration
  • Vehicle Insurance Card
  • Voter Registration
  • US/Foreign Passport
  • Permanent Resident Card (green card)
  • Immigrant Visa
  • Federal/State ID
  • County ID
  • School ID
  • Utility Bill (within previous ninety (90) days)
  • Bank Statement (within previous ninety (90) days)
  • Tax Return or W-2 for current or previous year

Requests for records to be mailed to an address other than that which appears on the requestor's ID must be accompanied by a notarized letter which includes:

  1. The alternate address, and
  2. A written requestor to mail records to this alternate address.

People who are homeless can have a social worker or the coordinator of the homeless shelter where they are temporarily residing submit a request on behalf of the homeless person. The request must be on their agency letterhead and provide the identifying information on the homeless person's vital record. The request must be accompanied by proof of employment by the agency and valid identification. The resulting copy of the vital record will be mailed to the agency.

People who are incarcerated can provide legal imprisonment, conviction papers or release documents that include the name, social security number and all possible aliases used in the past or identification from a prison/probation official.

Please do not send in original ID documents. Only copies are required.