Photos taken in Fairfield



essex county clerk's office.jpg

County Clerk of Essex County
Christopher J. Durkin
Room 247 – Hall of Records
465 Dr. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd.
P.O. Box 690
Newark, NJ 07102-0690



You may apply for a passport at the County Clerk's office. Procedures are set by the United States government, which has a Website listing the full requirements for a US Passport. Passports take approximately 4 weeks before they are received. Rush Services are available.

What you must do

All applicants must appear in person at the Clerk’s office or at one of the Outreach Locations. All applicants must have BOTH parents names on their Birth Certificate, regardless of age. All applicants must have a Social Security number.
Children 15 years of age and under must appear with BOTH parents. Children 16 years of age and over may appear with only one parent. Please DO NOT sign the Passport Application until the Clerk’s representative ask you to do so.

What you must bring

  • A completed US Passport Application (also available on site); AND
  • Two (2) identical 2”x2” recent, professional, face-front photographs (photos for adults and children 2 years and older can be taken at the Clerk's Office for an additional $10 charge). Photos must be on a white or light background. No school photographs accepted; AND
  • An original or certified copy of a birth certificate with a raised seal and file date issued by a State or Municipal Bureau of Vital Statistics (photocopies are not accepted). Birth certificates must have names of both parents, regardless of age; OR
  • A Naturalization Certificate (photocopies are not accepted); OR
  • A previous United States passport


  • A valid Driver's License, government identification or previous U.S. passport issued after applicant's 16th birthday which is not more than 15 years old. (A Green Card or valid Foreign Passport is required for parents applying for a U.S. Citizen Children's Passport.)

If an applicant cannot furnish the above identification, the applicant can present:

  • 3 additional forms of identification (bring whatever you have); AND
  • An identifying witness who has known the applicant for at least 2 years, and is a U.S. citizen or Resident Alien, and can establish his or her own identity by one of the above means.

Children 15 years or younger renewing a U.S. Passport must submit BOTH the Passport and an original or certified copy of Birth Certificate showing full names of both parents.

What it will cost

  • Adults 16 years of age or older - $110.00, payable by personal check or US Postal money order to US Department of State; AND a $25.00 processing fee payable by cash or US Postal money order only.
  • Children 15 years of age and younger - $80.00, payable by personal check or US Postal money order to US Department of State; AND a $25.00 processing fee payable by cash or US Postal money order only.




The Clerk's Office does not process passport renewals. You may renew your passport by mail, if you:

  • Already have a passport that is not damaged; AND
  • Received it within the past 15 years; AND
  • Were over age 16 when it was issued; AND
  • Still have the same name as in passport (or you can legally document your name change).

Full requirements and instructions are available at the US Passport Services Website.

If you do not meet these requirements, then you must follow the procedures for a new applicant, and appear at the Clerk's Office.