Photos taken in Fairfield



  • Do I need a permit to repave my driveway?
    Yes. You can download the application from the webpage.

  • Do I need a permit to repave my parking lot if I have a commercial or industrial building lot?
    Yes. The application form, "Non Residential Paving and Restriping Permit",  is in the list that can be downloaded, filled out and brought to Engineering.

  • Can I deposit fill dirt, mulch or topsoil on my property if my property is within a flood zone?
    A maximum of 5 cubic yards one time only may be deposited. A permit from the Engineering department is required prior to the placement of any fill, mulch or topsoil.

  • If my property is not located within a flood zone, am I permitted to deposit fill, mulch or topsoil on my property?
    Prior to the placement of fill, mulch or topsoil a soil moving/regrading permit from the Engineering Department must be obtained.

  • The sidewalk in front of my house is broken, will the town replace it?
    The Sidewalks are the responsibility of the homeowner to keep clean and to maintain in good condition. If you need to replace the sidewalk you will need a permit for that. That application can be downloaded from this webpage.

  • Can I make my patio bigger or do I need a permit?
    You have to fill out an application for an Impervious Surface  permit. That can be downloaded from this webpage.

  • Can I replace my walkway from my front steps to my driveway or add one from my back steps to my patio?
    Yes, as long as you do not exceed the allowable impervious surface. 

  • What is an Impervious surface?
    Any surface that does not have the ability to infiltrate water back into the ground,
    ie: roof,  pool, asphalt, concrete, or paver driveway, walkway, patio, shed, etc.

  • How much impervious surface am I allowed to have?
    35% for residential zones and 55% for most industrial and commercial zones.

  • I own a commercial building. Do I have to recycle?
    Yes. On February 4, 2008, the New Jersey Department of Environmental Protection conditionaly certified the 2006 Essex County Solid Waste Management Plan Update. The details from this can be obtained at the Engineering Office.